21. 10. 2019


Information in English language

The municipality Pavlovce nad Uhom (Pavlovce upon Uh) was established in 1960 by union of two separate municipalities - Pavlovce nad Uhom and Ťahyňa.

The municipality is situated right in the middle of the East Slovakian Lowland and has various natural conditions. The area is drained by the River Uh, which was known for many dead stream branches in the past. The only one which has been pre served until now is called Ortov (iť s woods have been good documented). Especially remarkable is local historical park, which involves many valuable species. We know also the fauna very well (e. g. fish and birds - their range is connected to the River Uh and to wetland of Senné).
The most important intervention to natural conditions in this area were changes in water service and socialization of agriculture in the second half of the 20th century.
Although there were more areas nominated to proclarnation as a nature reserve in the past, nowadays there is just one area proclarned natural reserve - lake Ortov.

The neolithic findings, found in 1976 in Ortov ( e. g. lower part of day statue with the feet indicated on its elf is very interesting) belong to the oldest evidence of the pre-historical settlement of the municipality. There have been the signs of life from few periods of the Prehistoric al Age and the early Medieval Age found in this area. Also the mass finding of bronze depot from the year 1878 is situated to the area of Pavlovce.

The municipality Pavlovce has been established in 11th/12th century by the settlement of guards called Plavci. The first written note about the municipality is from 1327. Local landlords built here their curia and since 14th century they used the name of the municipality also with their names "from Pavlovce" (de Palócz). The landlords from Pavlov¬ce belonged during the reign of king Žigmund from Luxemburg to the top of ascendency and the municipality Pavlovce was the center of their estates. In 15th century Pavlovce was mentioned as a small town because of markt, which took place in the municipality.
In 13th century it had already a church and Pavlovce was the seat of the Roman Catholic parish.
The first known written note about the municipality Ťahyňa is from 1337. It has been owned by different landlords. In 1599 Ťahyňa had only 5 - 6 settled liege houses and 2 - 3 yeoman curias.

Until 1848 both of the municipalities were owned by different landlord families (e. g. Dobó-family from Ruská, Forgáč-family, Barkóci-family, Horvát-family).
In Pavlovce, which was regarded as municipality from 17th century, there lived aristocrats, intelligentsia and liege people. In Ťahyňa the most of inhabitants were liege people. The confessiona1 and national structure of both of the municipa1ities became more various as a result of reformation, recatho1isation and imigration. From 18th century the confes-sional structure of inhabitants of both of the municipalities was different - in Pavlovce dominated Roman Catholic confession and in Ťahyňa Greek Catholic.
In 18th century the Protestant parish in Pavlovce was rep1aced by Roman Catholic parish.
The traditional job of local inhabitants was agriculture.
The events in 1848 changed the lives of loca1 inhabitants significantly.

From 1919 both of the municipalities belonged within the district of Veľké Kapušany to the Czechoslovak Republic. The notary and registry office, police station and Roman Catholic parish had their seats in Pavlovce. There was also a house of nuns - "satmár sisters" and state general practitioner, pharmacyand two public schools. Also in Ťahyňa there was one public school. In 30's in Pavlovce was established the State municipality school.
The main subsistence was the agriculture. The most of shops and pubs in Pavlovce were owned by Jewish inhabitants. In the period of ČSR many people from Pavlovce and Ťahyňa emigrated to America for better living and working conditions.

From March 14, 1939 both of the municipalities were part of the new established Slovak state. Pavlovce was directly touched by the "Small war" (in March 1939). In the municipality there was established the Financial guard station and the Passport control office (in addition to offices and organisations from the previous period). The founding of a Greek Catholic parish with the seat in Pavlovce in 40's was not succesfull.
The municipality has been liberated on November 23, 1944 by the soviet Red army.

After the deliberation the situation in both of the municipalities became more stable. Pavlovce was the largest municipality in the district Veľké Kapušany and later in the district Michalovce. In Pavlovce there had their seats also the institutions with the compatence for many municipalities surrounding the municipality (e. g. the "District office MNV" in 1945 - 1950). In 1949 Pavlovce has been electrificated.
In 1960 Pavlovce nad Uhom and Ťahyňa merged into one municipality called Pavlovce nad Uhom. In 60's, 70's and 80's the development of Pavlovce continued. The events connected to official intervention against rules and the Greek Catholics in 50's caused the changes in local confessional structure.
After the deliberation and espacially after 1948 the estate structure started to change radically in both of the municipalities. Two "JRD s" ("United society of agriculture") were established, later - in 1959 - 1960 they merged into one society.
In both of the municipalities number of organisations acted and children frequented few types of schools (primary, secondary, special).
In 1945 the sport club was established, later it changed it name to "Union of P. T." (specialized on soccer).

Pavlovce have been touched by the social changes in the state (democratization, extended power of municipal government, transformation of the economy together with the increase in unemployment, establishment of Slovak Republic and other).
After the change in social-political situation, more investment have been made by the local government (new building of municipal office and primary school has been finished, new bus terminal and garages and park behind the church have been built, general repair of roads and local amphitheatre has been realized and riding-ground has been rebuilt), nowadays sewage treatment plant and sewerage system is beeing built.
In the municipality there are different institutions, which provide services not only to the inhabitants of Pavlovce, but also to the inhabitants of neighbour municipalities (schools, district health center, pharmacy, district police station, post and other).

Urbanisation of Pavlovce is recognizable for the first time on maps from 18th - 19th century. For the extinct monuments we can mention e. g. Baroque-classical mansion of the aristocrat Barkóci-family from 18th century.
Nowadays there are following important monuments in the municipality: Baroque-classical Roman Catholic church of St. John the Baptist, New Classicallorďs riding-ground called "rajčuľňa" from the last third of 19th century, the chapel of St. John from Pomuk built in 1899 in New-classical style and the park of the extinct mansion.
In the municipality there were some Jewish monuments in the past (some of them exist until now).

In the medieval age some of important representatives of the dynasty of lords of Pavlovce were born here. Also later number of notable personalities were born in Pavlovce - artist Pavol BalIa (20th century), general František Barkóci (l7th century), theologist, philosopher and ethician Ján Bubán (20th century), artist Štefan Bubán (20th century), pastor Juraj Čalfa (20th century), landowner Ján Hadik (l9th century), man of letters Adam Horvát (l7th century), journalist and priest Adalbert Kazinci (l9th century) and publicist Ján Kondor (20th century).

The municipality Pavlovce nad Uhom was a type of typical agrarian village with traditional culture of a lowland character in the past. The typical sign of local inhabitants were agricultural activities - cultivating of crops, corn and potatoes - and farming of pigs and cattle.
The traditional houses were built mostly of clay and the roof was made of straw which was trashed out. The clothing for men consisted of shirt made of homemade hemp linen and trousers. Women were wearing blouses and skirts.
There were many calendar customs connected with Christmas and Easter. The main motive was health, happiness and welfare of a family. Many of them have survived until now.

The dialect of the municipality is a part of the Eastslovakian dialect macroarea.
To be more specific - the dialect belongs to the eastern region of the Eastslovakian dialects, created of folloving dialects - Zemplin dialect, Uh dialect and "sotácke" dialect.
By more exact localization to concrete dialect area, some problems, caused by two points of view can appear. The first one is geographical and administrative perspective. Regarding this perspective Pavlovce belonged to the district of Uh. Regarding the second perspective - the lingual perspective, there are most of the signs typical for the area of Zemplín.
On the basis of concrete lingual indicators and the accent on the penult above all, we can rank the dialect of Pavlovce among the area of Zemplín dialects - exactly to the middle of Zemplín.





Náhodný obrázok

Správy z východu